Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Rhetorical Context

When we are faced with different social situations it's natural, even instinctive, to present ourselves in a light that would best fit the opportunity.

For example, words used to describe ourselves are dramatically contrasting when aiming to please different audiences, such as a potential employer, date, and roommate. It's quite easy to deduce what buzz words are directed towards each recipient based on what that audience would be looking for. A future employer would be searching for a person who would be dedicated, hardworking, and driven to get the job done right. On the other hand, a potential date or roommate would be looking for someone a bit more intimately, focusing more of personality traits and compatibility. In this way, it's quite simple to see how a love interest would be interested in someone loving, kind, and supportive, and a roommate for someone nice, neat, and friendly. 

Even though the idea of analyzing rhetorical situations is quite new to me in this context, I have subconsciously been using this tool my whole life. 

When trying to persuade my parents to spend money on me, I've presented myself in the most responsible, hardworking, and respectful way, in order to show them I deserve it. I might not act this way all the time, but because of my audience, I know that to persuade my parents, presenting my argument in this way will be more likely to yield the desired results.

Normally, this tactic is very effective!


https://www.flickr.com/photos/ted_major/11932449495

No comments:

Post a Comment